Sunday, March 24, 2013

IT WAS EASY!


Happy March Madness! I'm not just talking about basketball, I'm talking about your brain! I was very surprised at Danni's response to her winning the Biggest Loser by losing 121 lbs. She said - "It was easy after I got the clutter out of my mind and changed my mindset." Hmmmm - you would expect a comment such as: "Hard work, sacrifice and commitment made me successful." What was her secret?
Because I work with a lot of people trying to lose weight and get fit, I have discovered something very important to their success and it can also be applied to your success in life – it’s your brain.  It is your brain that decides if you want to go to the gym after a long day of work to exercise or go home and watch TV and eat chips all night long.  It is your brain that pushes you away from the table when you have had enough or gives you permission for second helpings.  It is your brain that manages the stress in your life or relaxes you to handle life circumstances.  It is your brain that turns you away from cigarettes, too much caffeine, alcohol and other destructive vices that cause temporary relief but can cause heartache and pain in the long run.
 
Your brain is the command and control center of your body.  If you want a better body, be successful at a sport, successful in your job, live life to the fullest, you need to consider seriously the health of your brain.  When your brain works right your body looks and feels better.  When your brain is troubled, you have trouble with how you look, feel and behave.  Here are 11 rules for a healthy food-brain-body connection:
 
 1.     Drink plenty of water and some green tea.
 2.     Watch your calories.
 3.     Increase good fats and decrease bad fats.
 4.     Increase good carbs and decrease bad carbs.
 5.     Dump artificial sweeteners and replace them with small amounts of natural         sweeteners.
 6.     Limit caffeine intake.
 7.     Eat great brain foods. (Foods rich in antioxidants like fruits and vegetables)
 8.     Reduce salt intake and increase potassium intake.
 9.     Plan snacks.  Protein snacks will hold you to the next meal.
10.   Take a daily multivitamin/mineral supplement and fish oil.
11.    Recognize when you have hidden food allergies.

Stress, hormonal imbalance, lack of  sleep, exercise, and meditation can also attribute to the clutter that needs to be cleaned up.  I would highly recommend reading Change Your Brain, Change Your Body by Dr. Daniel Amen to further seek aids to help in your weight loss venture.

I really hope you can be confident by saying "It was easy - my success started and continued when I changed my brain!"  I'll be thinking of you!  Lynette

No comments: