Friday, August 17, 2012

Just Say "NO!"


“Your brain is the command and control center of your body.  If you want a better body, the first place to always start is by having a better brain.”  Dr. Daniel Amen, author of Change Your Brain, Change Your Body.
I tested this theory by comparing 2 trips I took to Costco.   The first trip, I was unprepared to be tested by all the free food sample stations set up in the store.  I had just come from the gym and worked really hard in class and I was starting to get hungry.  As much as I knew I shouldn’t try certain samples, I gave in to the smell, the looks, it was free, I can splurge because I just worked out, I can cheat just this once, etc.  My emotions took over and I’m pretty sure I hit every station except the pomegranate juice station.  Wow!  How did that happen?

Okay, yesterday, I decided I was going to practice saying “NO!” when I got to Costco.  My brain went to work before I even entered the store.  “Lynette, you know you will be tempted.  What is your plan today?”  Upon entering, I decided to pick 2 stations to choose from.  I also practiced saying “NO” while in the store to tempting items on the shelves to purchase, especially if they were featured, on-sale items. 

Dr. Amen talks in his book about taking control of your weight and not letting other people make you fat.  Learn to say "NO" to a cookie, but "YES"to an apple.   If you are going to a party, know how many calories you have to spend before you get there.  If you are at someone’s home for dinner and they insist you take seconds, practice saying nicely, “No, thank you, I am full.”
 
It’s crazy how our brain dictates our actions.  When emotions get in the way, we many times do not make good choices.  There are certainly other areas in your lives you can relate to making emotional decisions as well.  Usually, the outcome is not that great!  Your brain is your secret weapon to reach your goals; whether it includes fitness, finances, job, family, friends, etc.  It is the central control panel which directs the rest of your body and it's actions.

Food for thought?  Take a moment and just “think about it.”   Lynette

No comments: