Monday, August 5, 2013

Quick and Easy Turned Out Discouraging!

Rick and I needed a quick and easy place to eat Friday night so we picked a Buffet Restaurant in Simpsonville . What started out to be a quick fix, a large variety of foods, (Yes, even healthy choices!), turned out to be an empty, discouraging feeling when we left the restaurant. This is why:
  1. In our section alone, 85% of people sitting with us were obese to morbidly obese (some were children).
  2. Plate after plate of food was consumed.
  3. People were talking with their mouth full or not even talking at all – just inhaling.
  4. I witnessed a guy stacking 10 large chocolate chip cookies into his napkin, then giving the stack of cookies to his wife to put into her purse.
  5. Consumers were struggling to walk to the buffet to get their food.
  6. Servers were Chinese - all were thin.  It made me wonder what they thought of Americans.
I had trouble finishing my meal because I was so shocked at what I saw. Rick and I discussed the situation throughout our meal which actually ruined our meal. We both decided to never go to a buffet again because it was not worth the money, time and heartache we felt.

Why do so many obese people show up at buffets?
1.  They can get a lot of food for little money.
2.  They are among peers who can freely eat huge amounts without being judged.
3.  The guilt is lessened (for the moment!).
4.  There are unlimited food choices and consumption of food.
5.  They are food addicts.

I hope I'm not communicating I hate “fat” people or their behavior. I've always said that everyone is beautiful because God made them and everyone has a purpose on this earth and is of great value and beauty from the inside-out.  I see the trap and helplessness of many.
  
I also see a lot of sadness in these people and my heart aches for the prison they are in because of their addictions. So I am motivated to encourage people to get fit and be set free of the dangers of obesity.

I'm so glad for each of you. Keep up the good work – you deserve only the best! Lynette

No comments: