Thursday, May 2, 2013

Who's On First?

My friend Jean sent me this picture a few months ago and I got a chuckle how things have changed over the past 30 years.  I started playing softball when I was 8 and became obsessed with the sport until I switched to racquetball in the 80's.  I put my glove away and maybe occasionally played catch with my boys as they were growing up and now I will play catch with my grandsons; but basically that glove was retired ----- until this week.

My client and I were talking about her softball team and how it was time to get her in shape for the season.  I asked her if she was playing catch with anyone and she said no, that her boyfriend was too busy.  With fear in my eyes, I responded, "I can play catch with you."  (Inside I'm thinking - "Why did I say that?")  She said that would be great.  She's young and athletic - can I really do this?  I told her I would have to find my glove and then I'd get back with her.

There it was, on the top shelf of our bedroom closet.  Oh my, so many games, a lot of tournaments, so much fun, so long ago!!!   It was still pliable, I think; but good enough for my little training session.

So she brought a ball since I did not have one and we went on the side of the Sportsclub building.  It was a beautiful night!  We started out with easy tosses and before you knew it I was firing the ball to her and she was firing the ball back.  OMG!!!  I still have it!  I gave her a few grounders and a few high flies and we agreed to do this on a weekly basis.  I felt alive!  It brought back tons of memories for me!

Moral of my story is this - Is there something in your past that you really enjoyed?  Is there something new you want to learn to do?  Are you brave enough to go after a dream?  Are you willing to go back and relive a dream?  Whatever makes sense to you, do it!

I had a ball!  You never know, I might join a team or even start a softball team at our club and put on a uniform again!

Who's on first?  Lynette

No comments: